How to Prevent Motor Vehicle Theft
- · When you park your car, close the windows, lock the doors and take the key with you.
- · If you must leave a key with a parking attendant, leave only your vehicle's ignition key.
- · Install and use anti-theft devices, whether an alarm or a protective device like a club or a collar. Be sure to activate the device every time you leave your vehicle.
- · Park only in well-lighted areas near other vehicles.
- · Keep valuables out of sight, preferably locked away in the trunk.
- · Don't hide a spare key in a magnetic key box; thieves know all the hiding places.
- · At home, if possible, put your car away in a locked garage, or at least parked in the driveway.
- · If you have two cars and one of them is easy to break into, then park it in your driveway so it's blocked by the other car.
- · When you park your car, turn the front wheels to the left or right and put the emergency brake on. This locks the wheels, making it difficult for a thief to tow your car.