How To Safeguard Your Children
- Teach them to never talk to strangers.
- Teach them never to ride their bikes alone; always ride with a buddy and always wear their helmet.
- Teach them to never play in the street.
- Teach them to always look both ways and watch for cars before entering or crossing the street.
- Establish neighborhood boundaries in which they may play.
- Teach them to never open the door to a stranger when home alone.
- Teach them that, when answering the telephone, never give out any personal information or let the person who calls know if they are alone.
- Teach them to be sure to let their parents know exactly where they will be and for how long, and to always call and let them know if they decide to go somewhere else.
- If they should see a gun, teach them to stop, don't touch, call an adult, guns are not always toys!
- Teach them to never get into a car with someone they don't know.
- If they feel threatened, teach them to run away as fast as they can.
- Develop a secret password that must be used if someone unfamiliar is to pick them up from school or play.
- If they come home and something about their house doesn't look right, teach them to go immediately to a neighbor's for help.